Temples in Pushkar

Temples at Pushkar

Pushkar abounds in temples, the special attraction being, the temple of Lord Brahma, the only temple in India, dedicated to Brahma.This somewhat somnolent town, reverberates with hectic activity during the festivities.
Brahma Temple
The Brahma temple is an important pilgrim centre for the Hindus. It is nestled in the Pushkar valley which lies beyond Nagaparvat and the Anasagar lake. This place, full of natural beauty, holds a special place in the hearts of Indian for it is believed that Lord Brahma, together with all the gods and goddesses, performed a Yagya here. Legends also has it that the ancient lake Sarovar had appeared miraculously, when a lotus fell from the hands of Lord Brahma and dropped into this valley.Brahma Temple The most famous temple in Pushkar, this is the only temple dedicated to Lord Brahma (the creator of the universe according to Hindu mythology) in the entire country. You can identify it by its red spire and by the image of a hans(the goose considered sacred to Lord Brahma).This temple built with marble is decorated with silver coins and there is a silver turtle on the floor of the temple.
Savitri Temple
This is the temple dedicated to Lord Brahma's first wife. It is located on the hill behind the Brahma temple, and one has to climb a long series of steps to reach the destination. It gives a panoramic view of the lake and surrounding sand dunes.
Rangji Temple
The gracious temple is very conpicuous,due to its south Indian style of architecture. It has a high rising 'Gopuram' typical of southern India.
Warah Temple
The Warah temple houses an image of lord Vishnu in the incarnation of wild boar.The temples of Brahma and Warah are considered equally important. This ancient temple belived to be constructed by King Anaji Chauhan (1123-1150). Mythologically a very important temple temple and is believed that Vishnu came on the earth in the incarnation of Warah(wild boar) to kill the demon Hirnayaksh and liberate the land from his atrocities.
Apteshwar Temple
Another important temple of the town,the 12th century temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva.